Thursday, August 4, 2011

More Oil Sketches

Well, I've overcome some of my trepidation about approaching people to permit me to paint them for 20 minutes.  That's a good thing, because I really have a lot of learning (and confidence building) to do before October, when I hope to actually make several demonstration quick portraits as part of the Philadelphia Open Studio Tour (come to 1919 Chestnut Street, October 1 or 2, Noon to 6).

But the experience is interesting.  As with those early Coffeehouse Paintings I was doing early on, it is clear that my work is already improving with practice, study, and experimentation.  And yet those early paintings do have an energy and freshness that is sometimes lost as the process becomes easier and the product more polished.

In any case, I hopefully have overcome the intense urge to comment on my paintings by pointing out all the stuff that is wrong, or that I want to do differently on my next painting.  And so, without a critique, here is the sequence as it currently exists.  All are oil portraits on Canva-Paper, and all but one are 12 x9"

Angela Haskins, painted in Atlanta, 4-31-2011
Girl at Atlantic City whose favorite color is RED
(her Father bought the painting on the spot!)


Ed, at a Sketch Club Workshop (where it is now on exhibition)

The Sketch Club model Ed was painting

Painted at Ocean City last week
Also painted at Ocean City last week



Matt, by the pool

Curmudgeon who didn't actually OBJECT to being painted, but wasn't happy, either

No comments:

Post a Comment